Man DIES From Flesh-Eating Bacteria After A Swim In Florida
A 26-year-old man from Florida died last week after contracting flesh-eating bacteria during a swim in a local river.
Cason Yeager, of Lake County, FL, contracted Vibrio Vulnificus after he took a swim about two miles south of Pine Island Beach, his mother Karen Yeager said.
Vibrio Vulnificus is a bacterium which lives in warm salt water and can be transmitted through contaminated seafood or an open wound exposed to seawater, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Cason Jager (pictured), 26, died on Tuesday in Leesburg, FL, after contracting Vibro Vulnificus while swimming about two miles south of Pine Island Beach (photo: GoFundMe).
This has been a nightmare for me to say the least and nobody should have to go through this.
Cason Yeager’s death certificate was not signed by The Villages Regional Hospital until June 23, according to WTSP. Furthermore, the state of Florida has not yet notified the public.
2. Yeager (pictured) was diagnosed with autoimmune disorder 10 years ago, however he’d had no problems since then and was in good health (photo: GoFundMe).
The mother has set up a GoFundMe page to raise funds for her son’s funeral expenses. She also wants to raise awareness about the dangerous bacterium. She told WTSP:
I’m not telling anyone don’t go into the water just do your due diligence and make sure that you’re not going to harm yourself.
3. Flesh-eating bacteria kill a Florida swimmer.